welcome


Brad and I are flipping our first investment property house with a rustic, modern style. All of our posts can be found on the left side of the page, organized by date and title or you can stay on this page and scroll down to see the most recent things we have done.

To consistently follow along on our remodeling journey, subscribe with emails by submitting your email address in the bar on the left side of the screen.


Saturday, February 28, 2015

DIY burlap pillow case

Today, I hung up a new painting I'm the living room and it inspired me to get crafty!

I had some burlap fabric that I purchased a while ago and never got around to using, so I decided to make a new pillow!


- SUPPLIES -

•burlap fabric
•sharp scissors
•extra strong upholstery thread
•thick upholstery needle (curved)
•an old pillow OR stuffing 


I chose to use an old pillow to cover, rather than using stuffing. Essentially I'm making a burlap pillow case..

First, I made a template of the pillow as if I were wrapping a present. I left 2-3 inches of excess burlap on both sides, just to have a little wiggle room. 


**I cut only ONE side of the burlap to fit. If you cut more, it will fray. 


Then, I threaded my needle with the extra string upholstery thread. 


Now, I flipped the pillow case inside out in order to sew up both sides of the pillow case. By flipping it inside out, the seams will look flawless on the finished product. I didn't sew up the side that I cut yet though, because I need an opening to get the pillow in through. 


 
So next, after the 2 unfrayed sides were sewn, I flipped the pillow case back right-side-out and stuffed the old pillow into the new burlap pillow case. 


At this point, I hand stiched the opening carefully, securing the loose frayed edge tightly with knots.
  

And there's the finished product! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment